Tuesday, 15 November 2011

Skye's eye View - Chocolate & Christmas


Hullo everyone, let me introduce myself, I am Skye a 12 year old Westie. My Mum, Summer and I all work together. We are so lucky to go to work with our lovely ‘Mum’.  We live an active life, and live in Dorset, a beautiful part of the country & our walks are just amazing.  I have to admit that I am not as speedy as I used to be and Summer, who lost an eye early this year definitely isn’t as fast as she used to be. Squirrels are safer but we still give them a run for their nuts!

With the approach of Christmas shopping and the Festive season I thought it a good idea to remind all you owners how bad Chocolate is for us canines.

Chocolate poisoning can be fatal and the onset of clinical signs usually occur within 24 hours, effects may last as long as 72 hours.

Theobromine is the toxic agent in chocolate and cocoa powder. The therobromine concentration varies with different types of chocolate.

White chocolate is the least concentrated

Drinking chocolate

Milk chocolate

Plain chocolate

Cocoa powder is the most concentrated

Some of the visible signs are vomiting, excessive drinking, restlessness, salivation, excitability and hyperactivity.In severe cases diarrhoea, urinary incontinence and convulsions as well as muscle rigidity and circulatory failure may occur.

Wow not to be treated lightly! Of course foods such as chocolate muffins, biscuits, cakes and Easter eggs are all to be kept out of our reach!!

If any of us manage to help ourselves to Chocolate please seek Veterinary advice, but the best way to prevent any temptation is to keep all cupboards tightly shut.

Other festives foods to keep out of our reach is;

Christmas cake, mince pies, Dundee cake, all containing huge quantities of dried fruit, NOT GOOD FOR US either.

So luckily for your humans you get to keep all the lovely chocolate and not share it with your four legged friends, for our sake!!

Sniffs & Kisses, Skye xxx